Friday, February 4, 2011

Book Review: Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

Fall for AnythingFall for Anything by Courtney Summers
Pages: 240
Release Date: December 21, 2010
Summary: When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?

I'm a big fan of Courtney's style of writing, so I already knew I was going to like this book. I had no idea how much I was going to like it, though. I couldn't put it down. Fall for Anything was everything I expected it to be and more. I had that painful feeling in my stomach throughout the read, but I've come to expect that from Courtney. She's not afraid to bring her characters down to the depths of hell and then kick them in the face while they're there. That's one thing I'd really like to bring to my writing. I always go for the safe ending, but life isn't always safe.

As a character, Eddie Reeves is written so well. She's sarcastic and mean, but throughout the entire book, I never questioned her actions. She's scared and confused and all the people who she needs to fall on for support have basically abandoned her. Except maybe Beth, who is a total control freak, and that doesn't sit well with Eddie.

The story itself is captivating, too. Courtney's writing is always very tight. Absolutely every detail is important - whether the reader realizes it right away or not. I love when I get to the end of her novels and it all makes sense. I usually find myself saying, "Oh! That's why she mentioned that in the beginning of the book."

If you liked Courtney's other books, you should pick this one up. I think you'll like it.

RELATED LINKS

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read anything by Courtney Summers but I loved your review and the cover looks amazing!!! Looks like I'm running to goodreads to add it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney can do no wrong. I love her books so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this one but haven't read it yet--what has taken me so long? Clearly I need to read it right now! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete