Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ten Reasons to Read...The Book Thief

Over the month of December I read The Book Thief. Yes, you read that right. It took me the entire month of December to finish it. It's not to say the book was a hard read, or a bad read, it was just emotionally taxing. Now that I'm done, I want to sing the praises of this book from the highest mountain top!

The Book Thief


Ten Reasons You Should Read The Book Thief
  1. The point of view. I'm usually not a fan of when the narrator addresses the audience, but it works well in this book.
  2. The creepy foreshadowing. The way the narrator alludes to what is going to happen kept me on the edge of my seat. It reminded me a bit of Stephen King's style.
  3. Death. Speaking of the narrator. How creepy is it that Death is telling the story?
  4. Accordions! Leisel's papa plays the accordion for extra money. It's a weird detail to love about a book, but it adds depth to the whole story.
  5. Rudy Steiner. Besides Leisel, I think Rudy may be one of the best characters I've read in a long time. (Sorry, Etienne.)
  6. The story. The whole thing takes place during WWII. It's not really a 'war' story, but each character is touched personally by the war in one way or another, and it effects them all differently.
  7. The emotional roller coaster. Oh man, I think I experienced every emotion while reading this book. There are happy moments, sad moments, moments where you just want to cringe for Leisel, and moments where you want to stand up and fight for her.
  8. Awards. This book has won a lot of awards and honors, including: ALA Best Books for Young Adults (2007), Michael L. Printz Honor Book (2007),
  9. Max. I have no words for how awesome this character is and how he brings the whole story together. In the interest of staying spoiler free, that's all I'll say about Max.
  10. Leisel Meminger. Leisel is the main character of the book, and I just love her to death. She's feisty and tough, but has a soft spot for beautiful things, like books.
So there you have it. If you haven't read The Book Thief yet, I suggest you get yourself to a bookstore right away. This is a book that stays with you, and you will certainly want to re-read it.

Related Links

8 comments:

  1. I have heard it is a great book, just never picked it up for some reason! You have convinced me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this one on my shelf for almost a year. I think I will finally get to it this quarter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think words could ever express how much I love this book. It took me 2 1/2 weeks to get through it but the last 100 pages had me curled up in the fetal position with tears rolling down my face. Amazeballs doesn't even begin to cover it.

    I'm so glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to put this one on my list. It sounds good. I've always liked when a narrator talks to the reader. Jane Austen did it. Lemony Snicket does it. When it's used right it can really add to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. goygoygoioi
    lkljlkролдрод момпромпорм пл
    ромрммп

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you did this 'review'. I have Book Thief, this will be the year I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this book - it was ugly cry inducing but such a beautifully heartbreaking story - well told.

    ReplyDelete