Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Harry Potter Blog-athon: Class is in Session

A fun part of the book for me is all the different magic classes that Harry and his classmates get to take. Towards the end of the series, school takes a backseat to all the bad things that are happening, we can't forget that those kids started out going to Hogwarts to LEARN!

Classes I'd Love to Attend at Hogwarts
  • All of them (okay, I'll be serious)
  • Herbology. I fancy myself to be Neville Longbottom's protege. Gillyweed, Mandrakes, Bubotuber pus - all things a student attending Hogwarts should be familiar with.
    Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare... what did Professor Sprout say?-- it likes the dark and the damp..."
    - Hermione Granger
  • Transfiguration This class is great for pranks on pompous older brothers.
    Fred and George were crouching in the shadows on the landing, heaving with laughter as they listened to Percy dismantling his and Ron's room in search of his badge.
    "We've got it," Fred whispered to Harry. "We've been improving it."
    The badge now read Bighead Boy.
    (Prisoner of Azkaban, page 67)
  • Defense Against the Dark Arts. I'd love to take this when Lupin taught. I wonder what my boggart would be...
    "Nobody knows what a boggart looks like when he is alone, but when I let him out, he will immediately become what each of us most fears." -Professor Lupin
  • Potions. Taking a class with Professor Snape would be super scary, but I'd tough it out because he makes it sound so glamorous. Maybe I could take the same class as Harry so he wouldn't pick on me.
    "Potter! said Snape suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"
    "I don't know, sir," said Harry.
    Snape's lips curled into a sneer.
    "Tut, tut -- fame clearly isn't everything."
    (Sorcerer's Stone, page 137)
Classes I'd Most Likely be Caught Cutting
  • Divination. Trelawney, you're just too cosmic for me. I'm going to go chill with Hermione while you babble on about tea leaves.
    "I think Divination seems very woolly. A lot of guesswork, if you ask me." -Hermione Granger
  • History of Magic. This class sounds like a total bore-fest. I'll skip it to hang out in the Gryffindor common room, thank you very much.
    My subject is History of Magic. I deal with facts, not myths and legends." -Professor Binns
  • Muggle Studies. This is one time I don't share Hermione's sentiments.
    But it'll be fascinating to study [Muggles] from the wizarding point of view." -Hermione Granger
  • Care of Magical Creatures. Sorry Hagrid, but some of those creatures you bring to class scare me. I'd like to keep all my limbs, thank you very much.
    "I can certainly see why we're trying to keep them alive. Who wouldn't want pets that can burn, sting, and bite all at once?"
    -Draco Malfoy
Which Hogwarts class is your favorite?

7 comments:

  1. I liked learning about the Hogwarts classes too! I think my favorite would be Transfiguration (Professor McGonagall totally rocks).

    I would so skip out on History of Magic too...also Muggle Studies. And I don't think I could hack Arithmancy (not a big math fan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would absolutely love Transfiguration with McGonagall! She's my favorite of all the professors.

    I'd probably skip Potions because Snape creeps me the freak out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I want to take Transfiguration! Anything that the Weasley twins can do, I want to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Care of Mythical creatures - love that hagrid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would so want to be in transfiguration... but I would also hope that in the wizarding world I could be an animagus, that would be super cool!

    Oh flying lessons! I would love flying lessons class as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jen Just make sure your register yourself. We wouldn't want any problems with the Ministry!

    @Jolene - I'm uneasy around dogs, so I don't imagine I'd take very well to hippogriffs and blast ended skrewts!

    @meredith - yes! the Weasley twins rule!! my favorite trouble makers

    @tameka - but then you'd miss out on how to make polyjuice. It's such a staple to surviving in the wizard world!

    @danya - you're so right about History of Magic. Snore-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO great!! I'd want to be with Hagrid and his magical creatures (but far away-in the back of the class).

    ReplyDelete