Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Top 10 Tuesday - Sidekicks

Since I love alliteration, I thought I'd start a new theme for Tuesday - a top 10 list of my favorite characters, story lines, books, etc. This week I'll kick it off with sidekicks or secondary characters that I love. These are in no particular order, just 10 of my favorites.

WARNING: There are lots of spoilers below because it's hard to explain why someone is a good sidekick and avoid telling their story a little bit. If you haven't read a book or seen a movie/TV show, you may want to skip that sidekick.

  1. Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger
    Sidekicks to: Harry Potter

    Why they're good sidekicks: Ron and Hermione bring to the table what Harry lacks. Hermione is there to help Harry figure out mysteries, while Ron gives him the friendship and stability that he needs to forge on. Both Ron and Hermione treat Harry as their leader, but know when to put him in his place. They keep him grounded and give him confidence.

    Favorite Line - Hermione:
    "Harry--you're a great wizard, you know."
    "I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let him go.
    "Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And cleverness! There are more important things--friendship and bravery and--oh Harry--be careful!"


    Favorite Line - Ron:
    “Yes…” said Ron softly, “it’s the only way…I’ve got to be taken.” “NO!” Harry and Hermione shouted. “That’s chess!,” snapped Ron. “You’ve got to make some sacrifices! I take one step forward and she’ll take me…that leaves you free to checkmate the king, Harry!”

  2. Samwise Gamgee
    Sidekick to: Frodo Baggins

    Why he's a good sidekick: Even when it seemed like the task at hand would lead to his imminent death, Sam stuck by Frodo. Up until the last second, Sam was Frodo's biggest fan. He signed up for the journey and was bound to his friend to see it through. Try to imagine the story without a loyal character like Sam. Frodo may not have even made it to the end.

    Favorite Line: There's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

  3. Dr. John Watson
    Sidekick to: Sherlock Holmes

    Why he's a good sidekick: As the narrator of most of Holmes' journeys, Watson gives us, the reader, a chance to experience the story first hand as if we were a colleague of Holmes. Watson is an excellent example of how the story teller can hold on to certain information. Since Watson is telling the story, the reader wouldn't know about events that Watson was not present at. This also allows the writer to stage a "big reveal" where the main character explains how he solved the mystery.

    Favorite Line: In publishing these short sketches [of Holmes’ cases]...it is only natural that I should dwell rather upon his successes than upon his failures.

  4. Rose Tyler
    Sidekick to: The Doctor

    Why she's a good sidekick: While Rose doesn't know what going on, or where she is, she is always able to aid the Doctor in some way. Rose also tends to get herself into trouble. This is an excellent opportunity for the Doctor to showcase his skills and explain what's happening. With a new planet/point in time every week, having a sidekick is a great way to infodump.

    Favorite Line:
    Rose Tyler: [On the Cybermen] They're people?
    The Doctor: They were. Now they've had all their humanity taken away. That's a living brain jammed inside a cybernetic body, with a heart of steel. All emotions removed.
    Rose Tyler: Why no emotion?
    The Doctor: Because it hurts.


  5. Tinkerbell
    Sidekick to: Peter Pan

    Why he's a good sidekick: Well this one is kind of obvious, isn't it? She has fairy dust that helps you fly. Besides that, her sassy attitude puts Peter in his place when he needs it. It's great to see a range of emotions in a side kick, displayed in Tinkerbell when she's jealous of Wendy.

    There isn't a whole lot of speech with Tink, so we'll just move on.

  6. Robin
    Sidekick to: Batman

    Why he's a good sidekick:He is always there to back Batman up and inflate his ego a bit. When you're talking about a superhero, that is the only thing you really need in your sidekick.

    Favorite Line:I bet Batman is the only one in the world with a hand steady enough to paint false fingerprints.

  7. Cameron Frye
    Sidekick to: Ferris Bueller

    Why he's a good sidekick: He's funny and the voice of reason. When Ferris wants to do crazy things, he tries to talk him out of it. Tries is the key word here, folks.

    Favorite Line: He'll keep calling me, he'll keep calling me until I come over. He'll make me feel guilty. This is uh... This is ridiculous, ok I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go, I'll go. What - I'LL GO.

  8. Willow Rosenberg
    Sidekick to:Buffy Summers

    Why she's a good sidekick: Willow is a lot like Hermione. She's smart and dabbles in witchcraft. Willow is extremely faithful to Buffy and knows what to say to get her confidence up. She can also research demons like no ones business. And if you need to hack into the high school's records, she's your girl. Willow brings some talents to the table that Buffy lacks.

    Favorite Line: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know, insane.

  9. Peeta Mellark
    Sidekick to: Katniss Everdeen

    Why he's a good sidekick: Other than being the boy with the bread, Peeta is a relatable character, an underdog, if you will. We know they're partners, but Peeta's limited experience with the outdoors really gives Katniss a chance to shine. His blunders showcase her skills.

    Favorite Line:
    Katniss: What about you? I’ve seen you in the market. You can lift hundred pound bags of flour,” I snap at him. “Tell him that. That’s not nothing.”

    Peeta: Yes, and I’m sure the arena will be full of bags of flour for me to chuck at people.


  10. Tin Man, Scarecrow and the Lion
    Sidekick to: Dorothy Gale
    Why they're good sidekicks: All three of these characters lack something. Something that Dorothy can help them retrieve. They give Dorothy a reason to carry on when she's scared.
    Favorite Line: Lion: All right, I'll go in there for Dorothy – Wicked Witch or no Wicked Witch – guards or no guards – I'll tear 'em apart – Woof! I may not come out alive, but I'm goin' in there!
So who did I miss? Who's your favorite sidekick?

No comments:

Post a Comment