Monday, August 30, 2010

Sorta Book Review - Mockingjay

On Saturday I finished Mockingjay, the final book in the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. All weekend I strugged with whether I would do a review or not. Then I poked around the net and saw that there were already a bunch of blog posts on the book already and that I really didn't have too much to add. So instead of me giving you a review of the book myself, I thought I'd give you some links to the awesome commentaries I found.

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)


First up is Malinda Lo. In her post, she analyzes the difference between fan expectations and what the author intended to accomplish with the story:

...during the course of the first two books, I decided that I trust Suzanne Collins as a writer to tell the story that she wants to tell, in the best way she can. This meant that I was willing to go on the journey that she sent me on.

Next is a post on A Books Blog which talks about the aspect of war:

Dreadful things happen in both books because of war...There is heartache of the sort that seems almost impossible to bear.

For a different take, The Smarty Owl tells us five reasons they loved it and five reasons they hated it:

Mockingjay is destined to be controversial since it's a completely different type of book than the previous two; it has more discussable aspects for people to base opinions on. This book makes readers realize that the trilogy is far greater than the much debated love triangle between Katniss, Peeta, and Gale, and even greater than the first Hunger Games itself.

And finally, Kiersten White asks the serious questions about the plot we've all been wondering: (P.S. Her book Paranormalcy comes out tomorrow, so make sure you snatch it up to get you out of your Mockingjay haze!)

My real problem is this: Did it bother anyone else when Katniss got the owl with the letter informing her she'd been accepted to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and Extremely Good Archers?

If you've already read it, I hope you enjoyed Mockingjay as much as I did. If not, you can buy it at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment