Sunday, July 25, 2010

Writing Progress - July 25, 2010

Editing is a funny process. I thought I was going to be able to breeze through my first pass since I was really just reading my manuscript from start to finish, but not so!

So far I have determined that:

  • My first chapter totally sucks

  • I brought this up to my writing group and got some great suggestions for fixing it. Now I just have to figure out how to work it through the whole book
  • During the first 20 pages, my main character does not have a distinct voice.

  • As I wrote, her voice seemed to come out, so I have to make a lot of changes to first 1/4 of the book so it jives with what she would really say.
  • The first pass is taking much longer than I thought.

  • I am only through the first 70 pages as I write this. I'd like to get moving so I get to actually revising, but at the same time, I don't want to rush it.
    I leave you with a quote that will inspire me throughout the revision process. Even when I feel like I should just delete my whole novel because it requires so many changes.
    Remember, it is no sign of weakness or defeat that your manuscript ends up in need of major surgery. This is a common occurrence in all writing, and among the best writers.” E.B. White
    Are you writing anything? How was your progress this week?

    RELATED LINKS
  • Tabitha at Writer Musings shares her revision process

  • Heather at See Heather Write discusses the importance of reading your draft out loud

  • The Guide to Literary Agents posts the 6 Keys to Revising Fiction
  • 2 comments:

    1. I finally started reading through my draft last night. I'm not wild about it. :-\

      ReplyDelete
    2. I found you over at Tamara Heiner's blog and thought to stop by, glad I did I love your blog and the book choices on your sidebar! Definitely sticking around!!

      I am deep in revisions and I went through a block where I was unsure it was any good, luckily the hubs was there to pick up the falling pieces and though the beginning (1/4) of the novel wasn't the strongest there are some changes that will make it rock and I'm excited to get started!

      ReplyDelete