Thursday, July 8, 2010

On Waiting to Edit...

Ok, I’m going to just come right out and say it. I am DYING here. Dying to get back to my novel, that is. I miss it.

See, I made a deal with myself that I’d take a week off from it before editing. You know, re-ignite the passion. I thought I’d enjoy my free time. I even bought that new LEGO Harry Potter game to waste away the hours. It’s not working like I planned, though. Like a bad breakup, all I can think about is my novel. What did I do wrong? How can I make it better? Maybe I shouldn’t have ended it like that? My main character keeps me up at night, prodding me to sneak out of the bedroom and just edit a few lines of dialogue.

It’s driving me crazy.

On the up side, at least I’ll be brimming with ideas when I start the editing process!

Related Links:

Purchase Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, Second Edition: How to Edit Yourself Into Print
See Heather's post on the value of reading aloud.
Read Janice Hardy's plans for revising.

1 comment:

  1. I just ended my separation with my MS- we are now back together. I finished my rewrite about 2 weeks ago and recently started to self-edit (which I'm horrible at!). But, it is so true, I couldn't stop thinking about my story and my characters! This time it was a bit more easy to have some space (only because it was an entire rewrite), so I'd already gone through the whole "I miss you!" thing once before. Good luck with the edits!

    ReplyDelete