Saturday, July 17, 2010

Book Review: Suite Scarlett

Sometimes I like to read a book that isn't about anything heavy and just makes me feel good. Unfortunately, I didn't get that with Suite Scarlett. The character of Scarlett is very well written and I found my heart aching right along with her during the whole story.

Suite Scarlett
Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson
Release Date:
May 1, 2009
Pages: 368 (paperback version)


Here is a summary from Borders: Scarlett Martin is the third of four children in a family that has a most unusual collective profession. The Martins live in and manage a not-quite-posh-anymore hotel in New York City that dates from the 1920s. When Scarlett turns fifteen, she is given charge of one of the hotel's twenty-seven rooms: the Empire Suite. Into this room moves Mrs. Amberson, an aging C-list starlet who has returned to New York to write her memoirs. Soon, Scarlett is taking dictation, running around town with Mrs. Amberson, and getting caught up in her Auntie-Mame-meets-Bianca-Jagger adventures. In the midst of all this, Scarlett falls in love - or so she thinks - and it takes Mrs. Amberson to help her see the light.

Like I said above, I thought this would be a light and fun read. While I enjoyed the antics that Mrs. Amberson got Scarlett into, the rest of the book was a little heartbreaking. The Martin family is down on their luck with barely any rented rooms at the hotel, her older brother may have to give up his acting dreams for a real job, and Scarlett is left friendless for the summer.

Despite all of these depressing events, Maureen Johnson manages to write a story I was very happy with at the end. The book had enough hilarious moments mixed in with the serious stuff that overall, I would say it was a fun read.

I especially admired the relationship that Johnson crafted between Scarlett and older brother Spencer. I'm trying to create the same sort of closeness between my main character and her brother, so I'm sure I'll be referring back to this book to see what works.

I'll definitely be reading the sequel, Scarlett Fever as soon as it comes out on paperback. I like my series books to match and I already have Suite Scarlett on paperback. I know, I'm weird.

LINKS
-If you're not following her already, I highly suggest you follow Maureen Johnson on twitter. She cracks me up.
-Some more reviews of Suite Scarlett: Forever YA Lit, Teen Book Reviews, Abby the Librarian
-Pick up the book for yourself at Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've been wanting to read this... and I also like my books to match.

    ReplyDelete