Sunday, June 27, 2010

Writing Progress - June 27, 2010

My writing this week went great. My goal was to get another 5,000 words down on the page in my current draft. At first, I didn't think I was going to make it because I had to work a couple of late nights at my day job. Even though I didn't get home until after 11, I still managed to bang out a few hundred words.

I am at a part in my WIP right now where I'm able to use some snippets from my first draft. This really helps the word count. Of course, some of the characters are different now, so it requires some tweaking, but it's a lot less work than the full re-write that some chapters require.

I don't do a ton of planning when I write other than a basic outline. During one of my scenes this week, my main character's boyfriend dropped a bomb that I wasn't expecting. It sort of changed the direction of their relationship, but I think it gives him more depth, so I let him go. He better not try it again though!

Does this ever happen to you with your characters? I love it when they say and do unexpected things.

No comments:

Post a Comment